Airplanes Po-2 / 1949
The airplanes were used for air reconnaissance, aerial photography, and communication between the islands of the archipelago.
Tractor garage / 1953
It was designated for the tractor C-80, produced from 1946 to 1953, with the engine of 80 horsepower. It was the basic means of mechanical ground transportation at the station.
Laboratory building / 1932
Inside the building one could find meteorological office, laboratory of radio waves, aerological and ionospheric departments, library, and photographic laboratory.
Bath / 1929
One of the first buildings of the station. In winter, fresh water for household needs was obtained through melting the icebergs parts in the bath.
Undecked boat used for hydrological observation and cargo transportation.
“House No.1” / 1929
The first building in Bukhta Tikhaya. The building had separate bedrooms for polar explorers and a saloon — the heart of the social life of the station.
It was used for transportation of goods to the glaciological research station on the ice dome Ciurlionis.
Stock barn / 1931
In order to provide polar explorers with fresh animal products there were pigs, chickens and cattle on the station.
Hangar / 1932
It was designated to store light aircrafts. Since 1940, it was used as a warehouse. The largest building on the station.
Aerological office / 1930
Initially, building was used as a tallow-boiler and vegetable store. Since the spring of 1942 it housed aerological office and pavilion.
Aerological tower / 1942
It was designated for the purposes of observing meteorological probes. The height is 8 meters.
Magnetic pavilion / 1931
It was designated for the purposes of measuring terrestrial magnetism. It is built without iron parts.
Aerological station / 1954
Was designated to prepare meteorological probes for launch. A compact facility for producing the hydrogen was also located inside the station.
Food warehouse / 1929
One of the first buildings of the station. The main food supplies store which allowed the station to live autonomously within a year.
“Families’ house” / 1937
This residential building was intended for the polar station on Rudolf Island. It was constructed in Bukhta Tikhaya due to the unscheduled wintering of a large group of polar explorers and seafarers in 1937–1938.
Radio cabin / 1930
The only regular means of communication with the rest of the world for the polar station was radio. It helped to receive news from the Mainland and transmit obtained meteorological data.
Actinometric station / 1932
It was designated for the purposes of solar activity monitoring. The flat roof was a surface for mounting the instruments.
Dog sleds were an irreplaceable mode of ground transport. Dogs accompanied polar explorers throughout the years of the operation of the station, warned them of polar bears.
Ivan Papanin’s autograph / 1932
The famous Soviet polar explorer Ivan Papanin was the head of the station in 1932–1933 during the Second International Polar Year. Papanin left his autograph on the foundation of the wind turbine tower.
Wind engine D-12 / 1939
It met up to 70% of the station’s demand for electric power, having the vital importance in the absence of fuel supply during the Second World War.
Astronomic point of the Sedov polar expedition / 1913
It was erected at the georeferencing point by the members of the first Russian North Pole expedition led by Georgy Sedov during the wintering in 1913–1914.
Ivan Zander’s grave / 1914
Ivan Zander was an engineer of the steam schooner Svyatoy Muchenik Foka — the vessel of the first Russian North Pole expedition led by Georgy Sedov. He died of scurvy on 14 March 1914.
Power plant / 1941
Along with generators and batteries to supply the polar station with electric power, there were machines for engines and equipment maintenance.
“Bachelors’ house” / 1952
This residential building was constructed to a Finnish design to accommodate an expedition of the Arktikrazvedka Trust.
Atmospheric electricity station / 1932
It was designated for atmospheric electricity research conducted in the framework of the expanded program of observations during the Second International Polar Year (1932–1933). The research was conducted by the invited German geophysicist Joachim Scholz.
Cosmic ray station / 1952
It was used for the registration of cosmic ray intensity. The building with all equipment was destroyed by fire in 1955.
Directorate of the National Park "Russian Arctic"